I am interested in doing research in Department of State records. Where can I find Department documents?

The Office of the Historian is not the repository for Department records.

The Office does publish selected records in its series Foreign Relations of the United States. For records not published in FRUS, documents can generally be found in one of two locations:

Most Department records through the late 1970s that are designated for preservation have been retired to the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). NARA is located at 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740. You may contact NARA by e-mail at archives2reference@nara.gov, or by postal mail at the above address, sent to the attention of the "Archives II Reference Branch (RDT2)." Additional forms of contact are available at the National Archives and Records Administration's website.

Records not yet retired to the National Archives are controlled by the Department of State’s Office of Information Programs and Services (IPS). IPS oversees Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for the Department. For more information, see here.